Last Modified: October 7, 2019
HealthValues is the brand name for association membership in Communicating for America. (“CA”), which contracts with one or more third parties to operate this Website. In this policy, the terms “we”, “our” and “us” refer to CA and/or the operator(s) of this Website on its behalf. The terms “you” and “your” refer to website visitors like yourself.
We are committed to protecting your privacy and want to make sure that you understand how your personal information is used.
This policy does not apply to information collected on any other company, affiliate or third-party site or by any third-party application that may link to or be accessible from the Website.
Information We Collect
We collect information on our Website. We collect both information that identifies you as a particular individual (“personally identifiable information”) and anonymous information that is not associated with a specific individual (“non-personally identifiable information”). When you visit our Website, some information, may be collected automatically as part of the site’s operation. We also collect information we receive from you through various communications, during online registration for a membership and when you complete other forms.
- Your browser type and language, and operating system;
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address, which is the number automatically assigned to your computer whenever you access the Internet and that can sometimes be used to derive your general geographic area;
- The times that you visit our Website;
- Information about areas of our Website you visited;
- The sites you visited immediately before and after visiting our Website;
- Web pages and advertisements you view and links you click on within our Website;
- Unique identifiers when using a mobile device or other technological devices, including mobile or other device identification information;
- Information that can identify the physical location of your mobile device in accordance with applicable law and industry guidelines and best practices. We will seek your permission before we identify the physical location of your device and before we engage in any continuous tracking of your device’s location;
- Information collected through web based and other technologies, like cookies, web beacons or web bugs (See Online Specifics below);
- Information about your interactions with email messages, such as the links clicked on and whether the messages were opened or forwarded;
- Upon request for assistance, your bandwidth speed and information about the software programs installed on your computer;
- Standard server log information; and
- Other similar technical information.
Information you provide directly through our Website. In order to access certain information on the Website or to obtain or renew a CA membership and access the products and services included in the membership, you will be required to provide information about yourself (and your dependents, if any) when you visit our Website. We also collect the personal information you provide to participate in a survey or promotion. The foregoing information may include:
- Contact information, such as name, email address, postal address, phone number, fax number, and mobile number;
- Payment information;
- User name, password, and password reminder questions and answers;
- Age and date of birth;
- Other demographic information, such as gender, employment information, and zip code;
- Communications preferences, such as which emails and newsletters you would like to receive;
- Search queries;
- Contact information, age, date of birth, gender and other information about others when you provide information about others;
- Correspondence you send to us;
- Information collected about you offline (including via fax, mail, or in person); and
- Other information that may help us to provide with access to customized content or advertising, or to help us provide you (and, if applicable, your dependents) with access to the products and services included in your membership.
Information we obtain from other sources. We may collect information about you from other sources, including through interactive applications (such as mobile devices and third-party services), from third party vendors, those third parties who offer products and services, and from commercially available sources (such as data aggregators and public databases). The following are examples of information we may collect from other sources:
- Name, postal address, and telephone number;
- Demographic data, such as age, gender, and income level;
- If you access third-party services (such as Facebook Connect) through our website, your username and password for those services and other information available about you on those services;
- Your interests and purchase behavior;
- Publicly-observed data, such as activities on blogs, videos, and other online postings; and
- Other navigation data, such as websites visited and advertisements viewed or clicked on.
Links To Other Sites
We share information in these circumstances:
The personal information we collect is generally used to process your requests or transactions, provide you with high-quality service, tell you about opportunities we think will be of interest and administer your account, including distribution of our own surveys and publications. In the normal course of business, we may share your information with certain third parties for a variety of purposes including, but not limited to, (i) with other CA affiliates to provide you with information about programs and services that may be of interest for you; (ii) with vendors it uses to provide certain administrative services such as processing address labels, managing databases and sending mailings; (iii) with select nonprofit organizations through, for example, occasional “list exchanges”; (iv) with media, government agencies, advertisers and others, with whom CA may share non-personally identifiable aggregate information; and (v) on the rare occasions when it is required to do so by law, or when necessary or appropriate to comply with legal process or to protect or defend CA and its affiliates and its members.
We offer special products and services to our members through third parties, such as supplemental insurance, online tools related to healthcare and other consumer services (“Member Services”). We may share your name, postal address, email address and membership status, number and type (“Member Information”) with these third parties in order to notify you of their offerings, to determine whether, or at what level, you qualify for the products, offerings or services, and to evaluate new and existing products, offerings or services. However, if you apply for or request certain products, offerings or services, information you provide will be shared directly with the third parties who will be providing the requested products, offerings or services.
We may provide to a third party information as necessary to fulfill an order you have placed with us related to a membership. For example, if you pay by a credit or debit card, your card number and sales transaction information are passed to the card processor and/or issuer (including their service providers such as fraud verification services).
These third parties are required to use personal information we share only to provide the requested services. We are not responsible for any additional information you provide directly to these parties, and we encourage you to become familiar with their privacy practices and policies before disclosing information to them. Information you provide to third parties, may in turn be shared with us along with information about your use of the services. In some cases, these third parties may require as a condition of providing services to you that you authorize them to share information with us. If we terminate our relationship with a third party, information you provided to them may be returned to us, and we may provide that information to a new third party offering the same or similar services.
We may contract with others to perform services on our behalf. For example, we might retain a company to process credit card payments, ship merchandise, distribute emails or analyze data. If any of these service providers need access to your personal information, we require them to use it only to perform the services for us. We also require that they maintain the confidentiality of the information and/or return the information to us when they no longer need it.
Primary Account Holder
Each membership account has an individual primary account holder who is authorized to designate and remove add-on members (dependents) and make other account management decisions. We may disclose Personal Information that relates to activities occurring under the account to the primary account holder.
How We Keep Your Information Secure
We use commercially reasonable physical, procedural, and technological security measures to help prevent unauthorized access to and improper use of the information we collect about you. However, no website or Internet network can be completely secure. Although we take steps to secure your information, we do not guarantee, and you should not expect, that your personal information, searches, or other communications will always remain secure. Please refer to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission’s website for information on how to protect yourself from identity theft. http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/feature-0014-identity-theft
The safety and security of your information also depend on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. You are responsible for all uses of the Website by anyone using your password. Please advise us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org if you believe your password has been misused.
At CA, we respect your choices. If you do not want your information shared as described in this policy, you may opt out of having your information shared. If you choose to do so, you may no longer access and use this Website and if you have a CA membership it will be terminated, as its function is to provide information regarding products and services offered by participating companies as benefits to CA members and the information sharing is essential to providing the optimal user experience. Should you decide that you no longer want your information shared, you will need to submit your request via email to email@example.com or call 888-635-0292 to make your request, and if you have a CA membership, it will be terminated.
If at any time you wish to stop receiving email communications from CA, you may opt out of receiving email communications from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link within the text of the emails you receive. Doing so will not terminate your CA membership. Memberships can only be terminated as set forth above and pursuant to the Terms of Service
Please note that if you terminate your CA membership or opt out of receiving communications from us, you may continue to receive material from third parties who offer CA member benefits, and/or other parties to whom CA provided your information before your request to opt-out was processed. You may need to contact those third parties directly in order to opt out of receiving future communications. You also may opt out of receiving electronic communications by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link within the text of third-party emails you receive.
Visiting Our Website From Outside The United States
CA is headquartered in the United States. Please be aware that information you provide to us or we obtain as a result of your use of our Website may be processed and transferred to the United States and be subject to United States law. The privacy and data protection laws in the United States may not be equivalent to such laws in your country of residence. By using our website or providing us with your information, you consent to the collection, transfer, storage, and processing of information to and in the United States.
Our Website is not intended for use by children under the age of 18. We do not knowingly collect personally-identifiable information from children under the age of 18. If you are under 18, you should not provide information on the Website. In addition, individuals under the age of 18 may not apply for a CA membership.
Information Gathering and Use.
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our Website.
Like most web sites, our servers log your IP address, the URL from which you accessed our site, your browser type, the details of your visits to our Website, including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data, and other activities. We use this information for system administration, troubleshooting, fraud investigation and to report aggregate information to our advertisers and to providers of the products and services provided to our members. This is statistical data about our users’ equipment, browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
Finally, we use web beacons to determine when and how many times a page has been viewed and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity). Web beacons are not used to access your personal information on the Website and are only used to compile aggregated statistics concerning use of the Website. Again, we use this information for our own marketing purposes.
Links to Other Sites
Updating, Reviewing or Correcting Online Personal Information
You may update or review your online account information at any time by accessing your password-protected registration page via the “Login” area of the Website. To update your email address you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 888-635-0292.
© 2016 – CA member benefits, including all goods and services, are provided by third parties, not by CA and its affiliates. Provider goods and services are subject to change and may have restrictions. Please contact the provider directly for details.