There comes a time in nearly every adult’s life when a fine balance between parenting children and caring for elderly parents evolves into a regular juggling act. Just as children need care, support and advice, older parents might not have the technology wherewithal, mental agility or confidence to manage multiple doctors visits, Medicare bills or properly select a long-term care facility on their own.
What has been coined, “The Sandwich Generation,” this crop of adults are caring for both ends of the age spectrum, and it can be a challenge to manage the health care of both without assistance. Studies show nearly half of all American adults in the 40’s and 50’s have a parent over age 65, and are raising children of their own or are financially supporting adult children. Of those, about 15% are providing financial support to both a child and parents. The financial and emotional struggle is real, and will only increase as the boomer generation ages. Patient Pal, a preferred partner of HealthValues, can ease the burden of health care coordination for a member’s immediate family members. Patient Pal’s 24/7 health care concierge service offers:
- Assist in arranging for second opinions
- Ensure transfer of necessary medical documentation and test results including X-ray films to a consulting physician’s office prior to appointment.
- Assist in coordinating diagnostic testing
- Facilitate hospice evaluation and services
- Assist the client throughout the claim appeals process
- Connect patients to the available health care services within their network (and outside their network when necessary) so they can make informed choices and understand the options available when traveling on business or pleasure
- Identify centers of excellence for further medical treatment
- Assist with understanding and navigating the available health care services within their network (and outside their network when necessary) so they can make informed choices and understand the options available when complex medical conditions arise
- Assist in arranging for durable medical equipment, as needed, upon discharge from a hospital or skilled nursing facility
- Help with locating assisted living facilities or group homes and arrange an evaluation for admission
- Help research and locate private duty nursing services and home health aides
- Help research community resources to procure additional finances and services
- Help arrange for emergency or critical care domestic transportation to admitting care facilities
Taking care of yourself, your children and your parents can get much easier with the help of a health care concierge when mediation, assistance and research are needed, and there aren’t enough hours in the day to do it alone.